Featured Post

My TestDaF Experience

On Wednesday, 18.05.2022 I took the TestDaF at the Goethe-Institut Malaysia. In Malaysia there are only two places you can take TestDaF, eit...

Sunday, December 6, 2009

Never The Twain Shall Meet

Rudyard Kipling wrote in his Barrack-room ballads (1892): "Oh, East is East, and West is West, and never the twain shall meet." It means "two things which are so different as to have no opportunity to unite".

It happens all the time in real life. There are certain things that I can never explain to some people. They don't get it. It's like they just don't perceive that thing the way I do. No matter how I break down the explanation into simple modules, it just doesn't work on them. From university days to today's social life, these things happen.

That's why I am very reluctant to say some things to some people. The reason being they just don't get it no matter how I explain it. Which is why I don't like it when some people ask me for an explanation. What's the point of me explaining to somebody who just can't/won't/doesn't understand?

Oh well. Why should I care? Because the way we see things are so different, there is no way our perceptions can unite. Rudyard Kipling said it so well over a hundred years ago and his phrase still rings a bell today.

No comments: