Featured Post

My TestDaF Experience

On Wednesday, 18.05.2022 I took the TestDaF at the Goethe-Institut Malaysia. In Malaysia there are only two places you can take TestDaF, eit...

Thursday, February 11, 2010

Tourist in My City: Bukit Bintang

Last Saturday, 6 Feb 2010 I went to explore Bukit Bintang on my own in the morning. To avoid traffic jams I left home at 8 something and reached B.B. at 8:50 am, parked in Low Yat Plaza basement and walked around the still-closed shopping mall. Walked the backlane to Imbi Plaza, which I hadn't set foot in 13 years. Only a mamak and one or two computer service shops opened at 9 something.

Continued on foot to Sungai Wang Plaza around 9:30 am and overheard the security guards telling some lenglui tourists that the place opens at 10. Took snapshots of the lovely tiger decorations in the basement, taking care to use ISO HI in low light conditions. Continued to B.B. Plaza and crossed over to Hicks Street now known as Changkat Bukit Bintang.

A lot of restaurants have changed, old names of yesteryear are no longer there and new ones have taken their place. Saw a cute tortoiseshell cat with blue bell collar, patted her and made her my photographic model of the morning. Checked out the new Havana formerly known as Little Havana, looks nice with all new renovations. Said hello to the doggy at the Chinese temple nearby, her owner the aunty seems friendly. Saw the new Hotel YY38 along Tong Shin Heights just opposite Hotel Rae. Seems worth a stay.

Passed by Chua Brothers coffeeshop and the famous Meng Kee char siew place, both only open in the morning. Didn't eat because I already had breakfast. Ngau Kee beef noodle already opened for breakfast, they never sleep don't they?

It was getting hot as cloud cover dissipated so I walked past some travel agencies back to Alor Road. Near the place Aunty Linda worked before, I discovered a short row of small wooden houses from the 1950s or before. People still live there and doggies too. Quaint discovery a little off the beaten track :)

Soon I cut across some unnamed sidelanes to Federal Hotel and then back to Low Yat. Bought what I needed to buy there and left B.B. just as the jam picked up. By then it was ten minutes to noon. What a way to spend a Saturday morning :) Felt so happy. Must do more exploration some other weekend mornings.

No comments: