Featured Post

My TestDaF Experience

On Wednesday, 18.05.2022 I took the TestDaF at the Goethe-Institut Malaysia. In Malaysia there are only two places you can take TestDaF, eit...

Tuesday, July 23, 2013

If you want to improve your language speaking skills, you must speak!

(Written on May 25, 2013)

I've said it before and I'll say it again. If you want to improve your command of the language, you must speak it! Otherwise what's the point of learning? You can study as much as you want, but unless you use the language with others, what you learn will be "here today, gone tomorrow".

So you really want to improve? Start speaking now! Don't give yourself excuses such as "I'm not good enough," "I'm not sure about the sentence structure," "I don't know many words," "I need to study more first," etc.

I say, "Don't wait till you're fluent! Don't wait till you've memorized all the grammar rules you worry about! Just use whatever little you know. Otherwise you'll never start speaking. You can't escape making mistakes but they won't kill you!" Mistakes are inevitable. There's no shortcut.

If you don't speak, you'll never improve your speaking skills. Fine if you just want to read only, but why limit yourself?

And for those who are taking oral exams, please don't give one or two-word answers. Try to elaborate when you answer. How can the examiner give you high marks if you don't say much?

Do I need to translate all of the above into whatever language?

No comments: