Featured Post

My TestDaF Experience

On Wednesday, 18.05.2022 I took the TestDaF at the Goethe-Institut Malaysia. In Malaysia there are only two places you can take TestDaF, eit...

Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Spring Equinox 2012

Today, 20 March 2012 is the Spring Equinox in the Northern Hemisphere, and Autumn Equinox in the Southern Hemisphere. The sun rises exactly in the East at 90° and sets exactly in the West at 270°. Where I am in Kuala Lumpur, the sun will be near zenith at 1:21 pm at 87° above the southern horizon.

The direction of the shadows at sunrise shall indicate the East-West direction. So from what I see in the garden, my front gate is not exactly facing East, it's a couple of degrees towards East by South.

Note that due to the earth's axial tilt, there are only 2 days in a year where the sun rises precisely due east and sets precisely due west.

No comments: