Featured Post

My TestDaF Experience

On Wednesday, 18.05.2022 I took the TestDaF at the Goethe-Institut Malaysia. In Malaysia there are only two places you can take TestDaF, eit...

Saturday, April 23, 2016

The difference between sympathy, pity, and empathy

As defined by the Oxford Advanced Learner's Dictionary.

I don't want sympathy or pity. I appreciate empathy.

=====
The difference between sympathy, pity, and empathy
from
http://www.oxfordlearnersdictionaries.com/

sympathy (noun)
BrE /ˈsɪmpəθi/ ; NAmE /ˈsɪmpəθi/
(pl. sympathies)

1. [uncountable, countable, usually plural] the feeling of being sorry for somebody; showing that you understand and care about somebody’s problems
: to express/feel sympathy for somebody
: I have no sympathy for Jan, it's all her own fault.
: I wish he'd show me a little more sympathy.
: Our heartfelt sympathy goes out to the victims of the war.
: (formal) May we offer our deepest sympathies on the death of your wife.


-----
pity (noun)
BrE /ˈpɪti/ ; NAmE /ˈpɪti/

1. [uncountable] pity (for somebody/something) a feeling of sympathy and sadness caused by the suffering and troubles of others
: I could only feel pity for what they were enduring.
: He had no pity for her.
: a look/feeling/surge of pity
: I took pity on her and lent her the money.
: (formal) I beg you to have pity on him.
: I don't want your pity.


-----
empathy (noun)
BrE /ˈempəθi/ ; NAmE /ˈempəθi/
[uncountable]

the ability to understand another person’s feelings, experience, etc.
: empathy (with somebody/something) the writer’s imaginative empathy with his subject
: empathy (for somebody/something) empathy for other people’s situations
: empathy (between A and B) The empathy between the two women was obvious
=====

No comments: